This blog is to document my thoughts for my children to someday read. I love you Brady & Brooks!







Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Pinterest DIY ~ Recipes




Recipes from the Past

I had two incredible grandmas ~ Lula Pearl King Stolley and Verna Eleanor Brady Powers. Because of them and my mom, Sandra Lee Powers Stolley, I have a large library of family recipes.  Food can bring back so many memories.  My birthday is in the hot month of August, so every year for my birthday I would request a refrigerated jello cake. I can still picture the family birthday dinner topped off by this cake!  On the recipe card you can see she has written in pencil -"Kim's birthday cake."  We would visit my Grandma Powers usually once a week.  Nine times out of ten, she would have her Lemon cake ready and waiting.  (It's my daughter Brady's favorite!)  The smell of lemon always makes me think of her.  Another one of her famous treats was her Pineapple cookies.  Grandma Stolley had a tiny, tiny kitchen and ten kids.  This did not stop her from churning out some good grub.   She was famous for her baking powder biscuits and her "City Chicken Legs".  I have taken three of their recipes and framed them for my kitchen.  Looking at them daily helps me to remember the three great ladies that helped shape my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment