Raising a child is hard ~ Parenting a teenager will WEAR YOU OUT!!! I wish it was as simple as reading a book and following the step by step instructions. I read this in an article recently:
The part of the brain that controls emotions, called the limbic system, which allows us to feel pleasure, anger and passion, works just fine in adolescents. But the prefrontal cortex, the part of the brain that helps us analyze information, make decisions and anticipate consequences, is not fully developed until the mid-20s.
So how do we parent with this knowledge? You can help point out the consequences but since they can't understand or analyze, what's the point? I guess just keep repeating and repeating and sometime, somehow, it might sink in.
Right now I am turning to pray~
Lord please help me to raise happy healthy kids. Help me to show them your way and your grace. Guide me in this roller-coaster ride as they progress from being teenagers into adulthood. Help me to make the right choices as their mother. Thank you for the gift of my children and for the chance to grow in faith while raising them.
John 3:18: "Let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth."
No comments:
Post a Comment